McGraths are one of the top producers of agricultural ground Limestone in the West Of Ireland with a TNV (Total Neutralisation Value) of 98.5% and ENV (Effective Neutralising Value) of up to 60%.
Our product is tested twice annually by the Dept. Of Agriculture, Food & Marine which in turn provides us with a license to sell the product. We are also members of the GLPA (Ground Limestone Producers Association) and a registered supplier of the Grolime certified trademark. We supply, deliver and spread in the Connacht region.
NOT ALL AGRI LIME IS EQUAL
Ensure you are getting a quality lime material, it is important to know:
- Particle size of the ground limestone
- Neutralizing ability of the material. Expressed as the total neutralizing value (TNV).
- The rate at which the liming material neutralises the soil. This is how much of the material reacts and how fast it reacts to change the soil pH.
TNV-This is the percentage of the material that can neutralize acid expressed as the calcium carbonate equivalence (CCE) of the product. This standard compares the liming material to pure calcium carbonate (CaCO3). The higher the TNV the purer the limestone.
For Grassland Soils a Target pH of 6.3-6.5 is required for optimum growth
WHY IS LIMING NECESSARY?
- Increase or maintain soil pH – Grolime has a pH of 8-9
- Optimises nutrient availability
- Better microbial activity in the soil.
- Earthworms are more active in a neutral (i.e. 6.0 – 7.0 pH) environment
- Supplies essential elements of Calcium & Magnesium – Calcium essential for plant growth and palatability of grass
- Improves drainage and soil aeration as lime causes flocculation – small particles of soil stick together forming larger particles
- Increased organic activity in the soil
- Releases more nutrients from organic matter in the soil